top of page

History

The present Church replaced the small original building of 1860 (which later became a parish room and can still be seen to the south of the present Church).

 

Christ Church is one of three Churches in the area designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield (son of a Bishop of London) and was consecrated in 1875. It was deliberately built in an early English architectural style.

Christ Church was designed as a statement as part of the Oxford Movement in the Church of England.

The Oxford Movement began in the early 1830s as an intellectual movement. It started from one of the best tenets of the Reformation, namely the use of reason and intellect. From there, the use of reason led to the recovery of the doctrine of the Church of England as part of the catholic Church throughout the world.

 

Later the recovery of the use of ceremonial in worship (movement, colour, light, vestments, incense, statues etc) was part of the Oxford Movement's contribution to parish life. Later still, the pastoral dimension of the Oxford Movement followed (which in the late 19th Century  onwards saw many famous priests influenced by this movement working in very difficult parishes).

The present Christ Church owes much to the vision of Father Charles Lyndhurst Vaughan. Father Vaughan oversaw the building of a Church to convert souls and to be the springboard for catholic mission and evangelism to its parish and beyond.

He employed Sir Arthur Blomfield as architect of the Church, which was completed (without its spire) in the 1880s. There were no pew rents in Fr Vaughan's new Church so as to be as inclusive as possible and to embody the gospel message which he so desired to spread.

Some Notable Dates In Our History

Foundation stone of old Christ Church laid

13th July 1859

 

Opening of Old Christ Church 

9th September 1860

First early Celebration of Holy Eucharist

Easter Day 27th March 1864

Weekly Mass at 8am begun

September 1864

First Sung Mass in Christ Church

St Michael’s Day 1865

First Confirmation in Christ Church

23rd May 1873

Foundation stone of new Christ Church laid

Feast of St Leonard 6th November 1873

Opening of New Christ Church (Present Building)

 13th May 1875

Consecration of Christ Church

20th November 1884

Constitution of the Parish of Christ Church

1885

 

Incense first used at Christ Church

Feast of the Epiphany 1886

 

First stone of Tower and Spire Laid

25th June 1894

 

Blessing of Bells

29th September and 9th December 1894

 

Dedication of Tower and Spire with bells and clock

5th February 1895

 

Paschal Candle introduced

Easter 1904

Electric lighting of Church

Christmas 1906

New Font, in memory of Thomas Trollope

21st July 1907

Reservation of the Blessed Sacrament begun

Easter 1911

Dedication of the Chapel of the Holy Souls  (the War Memorial)

24th July 1921

Dedication of the West End Extension (Jubilee Memorial)

9th June 1927

Dedication of new organ

7th May 1930

 

Dedication of East End Improvements (Roberts Memorial)

20th October 1933

 

Christ Church Housing Scheme inaugurated

19th March 1935

New Chapel of Christ the King Completed

October 1951

Foundation Stone of St Richard’s House laid by Bishop Vernon

24th November 1954

Blessing of St Richard’s House by Bishop of Chichester

7th December 1955

71286567_2300319216897737_9200415694355693568_n.jpg

Subsequent parish priests, in line with our founding father, have shared and developed this same vision in response to their own times and people's changing needs, catering for their people and those who live in the parish from the cradle to the grave and beyond. For example, in the 1930's the Fellowship of St Nicholas was founded

 
Christ Church House Improvement Society began life within  the Parish. One of the key projects was the building of St.Richard's House (block of flats)in Pevensey Road on the site of 2 bombed out properties, this was completed and opened in the early 1950s.

The parish also ran an old people's home (Our Lady's House) for over 50 years.

In the 1980's the ‘Surviving Christmas' charity was founded by a former Churchwarden.

During 2002  the former school building was reopened as our Parish Centre. A rectory was also built on site.

 

In 2012 our parish extended to incorporate the parishes of St Peter & St Paul, St. Leonards on Sea.

We look forward to celebrating 150 of worship at Christ Church in 2025. Preserving our Church building for the future is part of the Heritage Project. To find out more click HERE

bottom of page